Who is Queen Frostine? I’ve mentioned her a few times so I figured I should fill you in on who she is. She is the one who inspired me to cook and bake. I’ve spent countless hours with her creating recipes in the kitchen. She is the one who instilled in me the real purpose of cooking and baking; it’s about being with loved ones. Whether it be in the kitchen making the food or sitting down at the table to enjoy it. I am speaking of my Mother… Queen Frostine.
She got this name from our family after all the delicious foods she would (and still can) create. I personally link it to the amazing desserts she’s made. My Dad even got her a cooking jacket with “Queen Frostine” embroidered on it. It’s funny… she said whenever I use one of her recipes I have to say it’s from Queen Frostine because, “I have this weird fantasy that they will become famous someday”.. or something along those lines.
I wish I had pictures of some of the things she’s made, better yet if there were such things as smell-o-vision and taste-vision… to do them real justice. I have some favorites that she used to make when I was a kid:
- Beef Stroganoff
- Mac n’ Cheese (An “I can’t buy the boxed stuff” story)
- Hot Cross Buns – an Easter favorite
- Homemade pizza – deep dish and individuals
- Chicken on the grill (with Grandpa’s marinade… now dubbed Queen Frostine’s Chicken Marinade, pretty sure she just stole that one)
- German Chocolate Cake – a favorite for my Birthday
- Kitchen Sink Chili – always different
- Vanilla Bean Caramel Queen Ice Cream – winner of “Bear Tracks” ice cream competition… made the old-fashioned way; cranking it out
- Caramels – every Christmas
- Freezer Jam – the best jam you will EVER have
However delicious my Mom’s food was, my Dad had a few good ones as well. He usually made all the meals in the winter because he wasn’t as busy as my Mom then; he had a seasonal business. He owned the Friends of the Earth Garden Center and Landscaping Crew (dubbed the “Dirt Dogs”.. and yes… we had t-shirts). Some of my favorites were:
- WAFFLES! with blueberry sauce and yogurt. They were different every single time… I remember we didn’t even have eggs a few times, but he still made them good!
- Sloppy Joe’s
- Nachos – yes, it’s easy. You put some chips on a plate… you add some cheese… you microwave the whole thing… = nachos. But they were good
- Apple Pie – all from scratch and every pie was better than the last… “I think this is my best one yet!” Okay, dad 🙂
- Meatloaf – without a recipe of course
My Mom (Queen Frostine.. sorry) always makes a cake of some sort for our Birthdays. I always asked for German Chocolate, as did my brother. but my Dad was the smartest of us all. On his 50th Birthday he somehow convinced my Mom to make him 5 cakes! Each cake represented a favorite from each decade.. in the following order: Spiced-Bundt, Carrot, German Chocolate, a Cheesecake, and a beautifully decorated cake from a friend. He always told me everyone came to his Birthday bashes for my Mom’s cakes and she definitely outdid herself that time.
Back to Q-Frost (new nickname? I don’t think she’ll approve..). We still love to cook and bake when we’re together and we continue to share recipes and ideas. I just wanted to make a point to ensure people knew who Queen Frostine is and maybe some of you will be lucky enough to learn why she got that name.
I LOVE YOU MOM!